|How is vulvar cancer
Treatment for cancer of the vulva depends on the stage of the
disease, type of disease, and age and overall condition of the
patient. Surgery is the most common treatment of cancer of the
vulva. The doctor may take out the cancer using one of the following
- Wide local excision takes out the cancer and some of the
normal tissue around the cancer.
- Laser surgery uses a narrow beam of light to remove cancer
cells in preinvasive disease.
- Simple vulvectomy takes out the entire vulva, but no lymph
- Partial vulvectomy takes out less than the entire vulva.
- Radical vulvectomy takes out the entire vulva, as well as
lymph node around it.
Depending on the stage of the disease, radiation therapy and/or
chemotherapy may be used in combination with surgery.
The overall prognosis for cancer of the vulva is good, primarily
because most patients now present with relatively early disease.